The Corrèze (departement 19) is part of the province of Limousin and is one of France’s least densely populated areas. It is the French countryside with small-scale farms (Limousin cattle), small towns and sleepy villages in a quiet atmosphere with plenty of space and nature.
In the immediate vicinity you will find:
- Local markets and fairs in all villages and towns.
- Les Tours de Merle. Cultural-historical monument with ruins of towers dating back to the 11th century on spectacular terrain on the Maronne river (walking distance).
- Fermes du Moyen âge en Xaintrie. Imitation village based on mediaeval farm life.
- Les jardins Sothys in Auriac-en-Corrèze. Beautifully laid out gardens of different character and with various themes, such as Japanese and biological.
- Argentat. A picturesque town on the Dordogne river with facilities for canoeing, kayaking or making a trip to Beaulieu by “gabare” (traditional woorden boat).
- Le Moulin de Malesse. Authentic (12th century) scenic area with a small lake. Horseback riding (10 min.).
- Tennis and Jeu-de-boulles courts in the village and in St. Privat (5 min).
- Lac de Feyt, a small lake suitable for swimming and a small beach (10 min).
- Recreational pool in Argentat (25 min).
- Golf links such as Aurillac, Mauriac and St. Céré (40 min).
- Winter sports area Le Lioran (45min).
- Larger towns such as Brive la Gaillarde, Tulle, Beaulieu and Aurillac (40 min).
This is only a small selection from the numerous possibilities. The local “Office de Tourisme” will be pleased to give you more information.